As a kid I hated broccoli. I was pushing these odd looking ‘’little trees’’ around on my plate and was happy my mum gave up one day. However, when I got older I realized broccoli can taste amazing if you know how to prepare it. A good dressing can make a world of a difference. I also learned about the amazing health benefits of broccoli and I became a fan. The knowledge and the great recipes I created for myself to make broccoli a star on my plate, resulted in me having broccoli almost on a daily basis. This butter beans broccoli salad with almond dressing is just one of many favorite broccoli salads.
There are many ways to enjoy broccoli. I enjoy it steamed, roasted, stir-fried, as a soup, in my juices or in a salad.
If you want to eat more broccoli (and you know you want to), try to experiment with broccoli in salads, such as this one. Keep it simple and only use a few ingredients. The almond butter dressing with the butter beans will make this salad crunchy and buttery at the same time. PLUS, it can be made in about 10 minutes, or however long it takes your pot of water to boil and steam those little green trees.
So let’s get started by chopping up your broccoli, steam it, and then toss it with butter beans, spring onions, and a generous drizzle of almond butter. The result is a simple salad that makes the perfect side dish or lunch.
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into small florets
- one avocado cut into little chunks
- ½ cup thinly-sliced green onions (more or less 2-3 stalks)
- ⅕ cup of butter beans (150 gram)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted unroasted cashewnuts
- optional: hemp seeds
- three tablespoons (1/4 cup) almond butter
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or date paste
- optional: 1-2 teaspoons water, if you want the dressing to be thinner
- Heat a large pot of water until it is boiling and cook or steam the broccoli florets for a few minutes. Transfer the broccoli into a bowl of ice water, which will immediately halt the cooking process. Drain. Then add the remaining ingredients and toss until combined. Serve immediately, garnished with hemp seeds if desired.
- For the dressing:
- Whisk all ingredients together until combined. If the dressing is too thick, whisk in water slowly until it reaches the consistency you desire.
photos by the green creator (c) (copyright)