Chia seeds are as normal to me as maybe bread is for most of us. Without actually giving it any further thoughts I sprinkle each and every morning some of these seeds in my smoothie or juice. Also when I prepare another type of breakfast I always make sure to add a spoon full of chia seeds. If you are vegan or vegetarian and feel the need to add a superfood into your diet, then chia seeds are your new best friend.
Why are chia seeds so unique?
– chia seeds are an excellent source of calcium (they contain 5.4 times more calcium than milk)
– chia seeds contain magnesium
– they contain iron (2.7 times more than raw spinach)
– they also cotnain zinc, boron and niacin
– they contain all the essential amino acids
– they are full of fiber and protein
– they contain more antioxidants than blueberries
– they contain more fiber than oatmeal
– contain vitamin B, D and E
– they contain Omega 3 which is normally to be found in meat (fish) and dairy is. Chia seeds contain 8.7 times more omega 3 than wild salmon.
Definitely a superfood! Especially if you are vegetarian, rawfoodie or vegan. What else make these chia seeds so special and versatile is the fact that they change with some liquid (water or nut milk ) into a jelly/pudding substance. When soaking the seeds like this they will also become easier to digest. Some people even recommended to always do so.
I have always been struggling to find the right supplement for my daily Omega 3 intake. Chia seeds are an excellent source of Omega 3. Also, the high content of calcium in combination with boron (boron enhances the absorption of calcium in the body) is a huge benefit. When consuming these seeds you can be sure you have the proper calcium source. A glass of cow milk can’t compete.
Keep in mind that you don’t use too much at once. These seeds are supposed to expand in your belly, helping you to feel full. Also, make sure if you experience problems with the digestion of these seeds that you soak them first. Often soaking them in a glass of water for about 30 minutes will already be enough to make them easier to digest.
Finally, chia seeds can be added into anything. In a smoothie, as a pudding, in any type of breakfast, in some water with lime, in sweets or a fry dish. The possibilities are endless. Although I ‘ve made a chia pudding before I have to share the following video: chia pudding with almond milk.
photos by the green creator (c) (copyright)