Kale often seems to be a struggle for many people. Let’s face it, it’s green and bitter. A tasty recipe with kale is always welcome! In case you already enjoyed the Green Monster and if you are ready to go even more green and feel the need to detoxify your body, then continue reading.
I wouldn’t claim this is the juice/smoothie I make the most often, however I do have to confess that I make this juice/smoothie a lot and I do like it a lot. The great thing about this recipe is that this combination of produce allows you to either blend or juice it. Perfect!
The benefits of kale are endless, here are just a few in a nutshell:
– Kale is packed with fiber, iron and vitamin K
– Vitamin K (in particular carotenoids) aids in the prevention of cancer, fights infections and heart disease. It is also necessary for many functions in our body, such as maintaining healthy bones and healthy blood.
– Kale contains vitamins and minerals that support the detoxification of the body and keeps the liver healthy
– Kale also contains vitamin C, good for our immune system and our metabolism
– Kale contains just like bananas, vitamin B6 and potassium .
For this juice/smoothie you will need:
– A celery stick
– A handful of kale
– A green apple or pear
– Half a cucumber
– Juice of one lemon
– Small piece of ginger
– Half a cup of water if you decide to blend
Blend and enjoy!
If this is somewhat too “green” for you then you can always add more apples, some blueberries or blend the juice with a banana. If you can handle more green, add some herbs such as parsley (great for your kidneys unless you have existing kidney and/or gall bladder problems). I always add some superfoods such as chia seeds or hemp seeds, green powder (spirulina, chlorella and wheatgrass), maca powder and papaya powder.
Ppsst…for the plant eaters out there, it is said that both maca and parsley contain vitamin B12.
photos by the green creator (c) (copyright)