I love to experiment with sweet recipes, but for a quick sweet snack I love dates. They are so deliciously sweet. For the holiday season or when I have guests coming over I often make these delicious double dipped almond stuffed chocolate dates. Even if I make a dessert I offer these at the table and they are gone in minutes.
These chocolate covered stuffed dates are easy to make and always leave a good impression. Medjool dates on their own are an amazing natural sweet treat, but almost anything sweet gets better with a bit of a crunch and a crispy layer of chocolate, don’t you think?
You could use regular dates for this, but they will not be so big and soft like Medjool dates.
If you’re not a fan of almonds you can replace them with any other nut. I also like these stuffed with walnuts, pistachios, macadamia, cashews or hazelnuts.
If you are going to make these almond stuffed double dipped chocolate dates I would love to know! Leave a comment below or let me know on Facebook or Instagram. Oh and don’t forget to tag your picture #thegreencreator on Instagram. I’d love to see your recreations!
- 5 Medjool dates
- 5 almonds, cut in chunks
- 2 tbsp cacao/cocoa powder
- 200 gr dark (+75%) chocolate
- 5 teaspoons almond butter (if crunchy you can skip the almonds)
- Open the Medjool date lengthways and remove the stone. Try to split the date down the middle, but it doesn’t matter too much if you mess this up.
- Insert the almond chunks and almond butter in the middle (or use crunchy almond butter instead) then fold the date back and squeeze it to close.
- Place in the freezer for 5 minutes while you melt the chocolate.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a bowl over a pan with boiling water (double boiler).
- Coat/dip all the dates in the chocolate. Either dip and roll in the chocolate or spoon over the chocolate while holding on a fork.
- Place on a plate and return to the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- Cover again in chocolate.
- Place in the freezer again to set.
- Store in the fridge as they will melt if stored outside for long.
- Sprinkle with cacao powder when serving.