Sometimes a recipe seems to be so popular that it spreads with the speed of light among (US) food bloggers. I am myself quite a late bloomer or simply not so easily impressed. When vegan blondies where popping up everywhere I was not running to the kitchen to look for chickpeas. All recipes contained too much sugar, too many processed products, flour, oil … I could always find something that would make the recipe not as healthy as I would like it be. Then I decided to make my own version. So not only vegan, but also as healthy as possible. No gluten, no processed sugars, the minimum amount of natural sugars, and in this case even flourless. The result? A delicious flourless blondie with chickpeas and chocolate chips ”The Green Creator way”.
- oil free
- refined sugar free
- wheat free
- gluten free
- vegan…of course
- the promise that you will not taste a chickpea
The BEST chickpea blondies! They taste like a soft and delicious brownie, but without the heavy chocolate taste. You will not realize that they are healthy, vegan, and gluten-free.
Only after shooting this recipe I noticed that blondies are supposed to be square. Oh well … I told you I made them ” The Green Creator way”.
I really enjoyed experimenting with a popular recipe. With some creative adjustments I made the most delicious blondies with the well known soft inside, or as the Americans would say ”gooey, moist and fudgy”.
These blondies are super easy to make and there is not preparation involved. Once you have mixed the basic ingredients you will have a very sticky batter. Wet your fingers a little bit to make the shape you like (round or square or pour everything into a baking dish and then cut into squares when they come out of the oven). You can make lots of variation sonce you have the basic batter. The chocolate chip/nibs are optional. These blondies are also delicious with cinnamon, raisins or spices. It really depends on what you prefer. With all the variations they are very soft, slightly sweet and gooey inside.
- 1¼ (240 grams) cups of chickpeas, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (165 grams) of natural almond butter (or peanut butter, but without additives). I made my own almond butter by running 165 grams of almonds for quite some time in the food processor until it became a butter
- ¼ cup (80 grams) natural sweetener such as coconut sugar, maple syrup or black strap molasses. Less sweetener is also good!
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- ½ cup (90 grams) vegan chocolate chips/nibs
- Preheat the oven to 175 Celsius degrees/ 350 Fahrenheit. Add all the ingredients, except for the chocolate chips in a food processor until you have a smooth, homogeneous mass. Then gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- On a baking sheet lined with baking paper, put a spoonful of the batter, using a fork or your (wet) fingers to make the shape you like (square or round). Bake 10-15 minutes until the blondies are golden brown and enjoy. Easy, right?
- I think they are the best when they're warm. So store them in the fridge and put them just a few minutes in the oven before serving. But eating them cold is also no problem! You can keep them in the fridge for about a week.
photos by the green creator (c) (copyright)