Since I have a seperate section here on The Green Creator for soup recipes, it comes as no surprise that I’m a big soup lover. Winter, summer, spring…I eat soup all year round and I love the fact that there’re endless variations to make a big bowl of comfort. Now spring has officially sprung I wanted to make a lighter soup that is more of a snack or a starter. I ended up with this delicous green peas and ginger soup with spiced cashew nuts. This soup might also be a good option if you want to mind your calorie intake a bit. If you really want to make this a light/detox soup you can leave out the spiced cashew nuts, but I wouldn’t recommend it since the spiced cashew nuts together with the ginger are such a great combination.
When I make a soup I almost always add green peas. I love the subtle flavor of green peas and they match with almost all other plant-based options in my kitchen. I always have a few bags of frozen green peas in my freezer so I can make a soup from scratch in no time. This time I wanted to flip it all around and make green peas the main ingredient of my soup instead of an addition. Green peas may not be a super source of protein since they contain 8.58 grams per cup (when cooked), but they also contain fibers, vitamins and minerals, such as potassium, vitamin A, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin A and vitamin K.
The ginger in this recipe gives this soup a spicy boost. If you don’t like a ginger kick be careful and add less than I indicated in this recipe. I use fresh ginger, so it can be quite strong. Ginger gives any recipe a nice boost, but it’s also healthy. It’s a stomach soother, an immune booster, it’s anti-inflammatory and it fights infections. And ladies, ginger can work great when you suffer from menstrual cramps.
If you are ready for a light soup with a kick of ginger and crispy spiced cashews, let’s get started! If you’re gonna make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me #thegreencreator so I can easily find your recipe.
- 2 cups (20 grams) frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 cups (200 ml) vegan salt free broth (use 3-4 cups of you want a thinner consistency)
- salt and pepper to taste
- one teaspoon of ground cumin
- half a teaspoon ground cinnamon
- one teaspoon of ground red paprika
- three tablespoons (45 grams) cashew nuts
- one teaspoon coconut oil
- Pour the broth into a large pot along with the peas and ginger. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop the cashewnuts in little chunks and roast for a few minutes in a pan with the cumin, cinnamon and coconut oil.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into a bowl and top with ground red paprika and roasted cashews.