I believe a healthy body will detoxify itself. A healthy liver and healthy lungs are just two examples of organs that will clean/protect your body. But with all the toxins in our food, the air pollution, cosmetics and so on we might help our bodies a bit. Many experts advocate the benefits of a fast or a detox. You have to know what you are doing though. Your digestive system (and other body functions) will get a complete rest. No chewing, just drinking. So how does it work a 10 day juice detox?
Fasting will enable your body to burn up and eliminate waste. It will use it reserve supply of elements to keep your body functioning. Digesting food takes the most energy for a human body. That’s exactly the reason why you feel sleepy after a heavy meal. During a fast your body doesn’t have to give most of it’s energy to digest food so it can benefit your body in other ways. Obviously you will feel more energetic (after day 1-2), but your body will also start renewing cells. It will make you mentally more clear, your skin will clear up, insomnia and even chronic illnesses can disappear. Some studies have shown that fasting is the best way to combat cancer.
10 Day Juice Detox
Although my diet is pretty healthy I have to admit that I occasionally do overeat on the nuts and raw chocolate. Or sometimes I just overeat on anything healthy. So time for a 10 day juice fast. Time to reset. How did it go? Pretty easy. I was drinking a large juice almost every 4 hours. I was sometimes a bit hungry, but not in an unpleasant way.
On day 3 and day 4 my energy levels began to rise.
The most pleasant effect of the fast was that my skin felt like the skin of an infant. So clear and so soft! Since I have difficulties slowing down I noticed I was less chaotic. Napping is something I only do when I have a jet lag or when I’m very sick. But guess what? During a juice fast I could sleep/slow down my body whenever I wanted and at night I slept like a rock. I believe the not visible benefits on a cellular level are huge.
- Preparation, preparation. You can’t wake up and decide to start a juice fast. I would recommend to do groceries for three days of juicing. You never know how you will feel. You might get some withdrawal symptoms or you will feel tired. Give yourself the choice on such days to stay in and rest. Also you need to prepare mentally. Read or watch some documentaries (”Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead”) on fasting. You have to stay in the momentum to stay motivated, especially when you will feel bad you need a huge motivation. Everybody can do it, so can you.
- Eliminating fibre during a juice fast may lead to side effects (constipation, diarrhea and elevated blood glucose and insulin levels), so add to at least one of your juices some fibre such as psyllium seed husks.
- Do what your body tells you to do. Exercise if you want to and sleep if you need to.
- Jumping on a rebounder, or mini-trampoline, is a perfect way to get your lymph system pumping. So are deep breathings.
- Stop the fast when you feel very bad, start throwing up or have fever.
- Don’t juice fast when you have a medical condition such as diabetes or osteoporosis. You will need to discuss this with your doctor first. There are people with diabetes that easily can follow a fruity (high in sugar) juice fast, but others can’t.
- Add some wheatgrass and spirulina to speed up the detoxifying process.
- Don’t forget to drink water.
- Brush your skin.
- Tell the people around you about your detox to make it easier to go out. You will be surprised how many people will respect your choice and will probably be even interested.
- Realize you are not missing out on anything, you are still nourishing your body. You are just not chewing for some days..
photos by the green creator (c) (copyright)