I find smoothies an incredible easy way to sneak in tons of greens. Smoothies are really an easy way to sneak in the ‘’not so tasty but oh so healthy ingredients’’. Let me introduce to you my green go-to smoothie with a secret ingredient you will not even taste. I promise.
Sipping on a green smoothie or juice is a good habit that we all want to hold on to, but sometimes this can be tricky. Which fruits and vegetables are we going to combine today? How do you keep it exciting, yet delicious and healthy at the same time?
A good smoothie is a powerhouse packed with nutrients, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and so much more! Even some healthy omega 3 fats….
My simple green smoothie formula is:
✔️ 2 cups greens
✔️ 1 cup liquid (mostly water)
✔️ 1 cup fruit (or less)
✔️ any super smoothie boosters if you wish
I like my smoothies to be a bit on the thinner side, rather than a thick one. Somewhere between a thick smoothie and a juice. But you can of course adjust this to your preference. I also take my smoothie normally with me when I’m on the go. You can read here how to save a smoothie for later.
What is the secret ingredient?
The secret ingredient is not expensive and you probably have it in your cupboard or fridge. It’s apple cider vinegar or ACV. No wait….Give it a chance. Because even if you are not into ACV I urge you to try it out. Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar is my cheapest and one of my best ‘’’superfoods’’. Just one tablespoon of ACV per day and your digestive system will thank you. I know, it might sound (and taste) weird but if you add the right amount of ACV to your smoothie it will add just the right taste boost of tart and sweetness. Especially when you combine ACV with apples, pears and cinnamon.
There are many ways to give your smoothie a boost (as you can read here), but I have to say that ACV is my fave at the moment.
This video pretty much sums up all the amazing health benefits of ACV that has been used well over 2000 years. You can find raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in any health food store. I buy mine here.
- One ripe pear (an apple or mango will also combine well)
- One banana (frozen if you prefer a thicker smoothie)
- ½ cup filtered water
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- Ginger (a little piece)
- Dried wheat grass powder (one teaspoon)
- 1 piece of celery
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds or chia seeds
- 2 cups greens such as kale, spinach, collards, romaine, etc. (whatever is in season)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- small handful parsley
- 2 tablespoons raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- one date for extra sweetness, optional
- Throw all of your ingredients together into a blender and process until completely smooth.
- Fill a glass/jar with this smoothie and sip right away or save for later.