A first world problem these days is: should I have oatmeal or a smoothie for breakfast? But hey, why not combine both? Oatmeal berry smoothie.
A whole food plant-based lifestyle with an abundance of fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, beans and legumes is anything but boring. There are so many amazing foods to enjoy. This recipe is an example of that. So easy and so delicious. And also pretty nice to look at, don’t you think? I don’t know if this recipe is also nice with a real green smoothie, but this recipe with berries was delicious! It could also make a great snack or dessert, but I enjoy this recipe most as a breakfast.
Have you ever mixed a smoothie with your oatmeal porridge or will you give this recipe a try? Please let me know in the comment section below or tag your picture with #thegreencreator on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations.
- Oatmeal layer:
- 4-5 tablespoons of rolled oatmeal
- a splash of water (just enough to cover the oats)
- a little bit of almond milk
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of vanilla powder
- Smoothie layer:
- one frozen mango (or banana)
- one teaspoon wheatgrass powder (optional)
- one handful of frozen berries ( I used mixed berries)
- one handful of fresh spinach
- Just enough almondmilk to get the blender going
- I also added a capsule of probiotics (optional)
- In a pan add the oatmeal with a splash of water and heat this up on medium high heat. Once the oatmeal soaked up all the water add a splash of almond milk and let it become a thick porridge. This all should take about 5 minutes. Be careful with the amount of liquid though. You want to create a thick oatmeal porridge. When the oatmeal is almost finished add in the cinnamon, vanilla powder and combine well. Set aside.
- In a blender throw in the frozen mango, the wheatgrass powder, a handful of frozen berries, handful of fresh spinach and just enough almondmilk to get the blender going. Just like with the oatmeal porridge it should be a thick smoothie so be careful with how much almond milk you use. Add in the probiotics (if you use it in this recipe) when the smoothie is done. You can do so by opening up the capsule and adding the powder of it to your blender stir it in with a teaspoon (bacteria are sensitive).
- To serve layer the oatmeal porridge and the smoothie one after the other in a bowl or glass. Serve and enjoy immediately.