Ever since I was a kid I was a huge soup lover. However, many years ago before turning to a whole food plant based diet I thought soups were complicated. A good soup was something that only my mom could make really well. I thought soups always required some meat in it and that it always takes hours to simmer to get the right taste. I was wrong. This one pot lentil pea soup will show you why.
It’s super simple to make and fast too! I make this in 10 minutes and often only one or two big portions. However, if you are alone and you just want one big bowl of soup this recipe is for you.
I eat soups multiple times per week. It’s healthy, quick, filling and there are no rules to follow. Just combine whatever you have in your kitchen and let your appetite guide you to a great (new) recipe.
Like I said, I always thought soups needed some meat to make it tasty, to add some protein or just to be filling. Let me introduce you to my friends: red lentils. I promise you, this soup will not leave you hungry. Pinky promise. The protein question? Not too bad, have a look yourself. Another reason why I love red lentils is that they don’t require soaking (just rinse them very well under running water before cooking) and they are done under 10 minutes. I like to boil them a bit longer to create a thick mushy soup though. Yum! Oh and lentils are also loaded with fiber and we ALL need more fibers in our life.
Are you a soup lover? Let me know in the comments below or tag me #thegreencreator on Instagram. I always love seeing your creations.
- one onion, chopped in little chunks
- one teaspoon of coconut oil
- 400-500 ml of water
- ¼ cup (about 40 grams) uncooked red lentils
- 2 small carrots, chopped in little chunks
- a little dash of dried ginger
- a dash of dried curry (optional)
- a dash of turmeric
- a dash of dried oregano
- a dash of dried marjoram
- pepper and salt to taste
- a dash of cumin
- 100 grams frozen peas (more or less if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons (roasted ) almond flakes (I often roast this with minced garlic and Provencal herbs)
- Heat the coconut oil in a soup pan and add the onions. Meanwhile rinse the red lentils under running water. When the onions are golden brown add the water and the red lentils together with the carrots and spices. On high heat let this simmer until the lentils break down. Then add the frozen peas to the soup. Meanwhile roast the almond flakes in a seperate pan until light brown and crispy. When also the carrots are soft, serve the soup with the almonds and some (dried) herbs. If you are in a rush you don't have to roast the almond flakes, just top your soup then with the unroasted almonds flakes.