If there is one question that I got asked most it would be about weight loss. A lot of people still believe that if they eat a certain type of food they will lose weight magically. Unfortunately, our bodies are too clever to work like that. We need to rotate our (healthy) food, whether that is fruit or vegetables. However, if you would ask me what to include into your diet if you want to lose some weight and get more healthy it would be a salad.
I keep repeating, ”A salad a day keep the muffin top away”
Is there a specific salad that is more superior than others? No, all salads are awesome. However, there is one vegetable people hardly love, but which is great to use when trying to lose some weight, it’s celeriac or celery root. It’s used in many alternatives and holistic diets and is a member of the parsley family.
I believe it’s (unfortunately) one of the least popular vegetable out there.
Why is it so health?
- Celeriac is a very good source of minerals such as phosphorus, magnesium and potassium (relieves bloating)
- Celeriac contains tons of healthy fibers (an absolute must when you want to lose weight)
- It also contains vitamins B1, B2, A, C, K and E
- It will help curing kidney disease
- Celeriac regulates bowel movements and supports the digestive system
- This root activates your metabolism (bye bye fat!)
- It relaxes the nerves. Since stress many often prevent weight loss, this calming root will become your best friend.
Overall, celery will actually help the processes of fat burning and this way assist in speeding up weight loss.
Some people will eat just before a meal a cup of celery root stirred with a teaspoon of raw honey to not overeat.
Tip: save the stalks of the celery root to juice.
Since the taste itself is not that great, a tasty recipe is a must. This salad it simple to make and takes little time, furthermore for a big bowl you will need the following:
- a food processor or grater
- a celery root
- an onion
- 1/4 an apple
- some mustard with raw honey
Like said, this will take you a couple of minutes to make. Peel the celery root and grate it or cut it in the food processor. Do the same with the onion and apple. Add a teaspoon of honey and mustard. I also added a little spoon of raw apple cider vinegar, mustard seeds, a pinch Celtic sea salt and turmeric powder. Mix in a bowl and serve.
Eat as much as you can!
photos by the green creator (c) (copyright)