Oregano oil is maybe nature’s most powerful and versatile oil. I always have a bottle of this oil with me, especially when I travel. This plant is maybe the reasons why people who eat a Mediterranean diet tend to live longer and healthier. The oregano plant has been known to kill bacteria, fungus, yeast, parasites and viruses. What are the the wonders of oregano oil exactly?
Oil of oregano is made from the leaves and flowers of the wild oregano plant. The ancient Greeks refer to it as “joy of the mountain”. They used it to treat infections.
Why is the oil of oregano so unique?
- It has been proven in studies that oregano oil is a powerful antimicrobial, it can even be used to preserve food. Oregano oil also has antibacterial properties.
- Oregano oil contains thymol which is an immune system booster and a shield against toxins.
- Oregano oil contains rosmarinic acid which is a stronger antioxidant than vitamin E. It prevents free radical damage. It reduces fluid build up and swelling and is an effective natural antihistamine.
- This oil also contains naringin which is the substance that gives grapefruit its bitter taste. It has been shown to boost the effect of antioxidants.
- Oregano oil has high levels of the free radical fighting antioxidants.
- Oil of oregano contains vitamin E complex, as well as calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, potassium, copper, boron, manganese, vitamins A and C, and niacin;
- Recent research shows that oil of oregano is beneficial to the colon and liver.
Oregano oil is powerful and versatile
Some people claim that oil of oregano holds supremacy as nature’s most powerful and versatile antiseptic. It is a preservative that can be used to halt the growth of microbes and reduce the risk of food poisoning. Only for that reason I carry a little bottle with me when I travel. Lifesaver! There are tons of issues where the oil may be useful.
Although it’s not cheap, it is worth the money. Make sure to purchase real wild Mediterranean oregano though. I add four drops to my water bottle. Update: at the moment I’m using these oregano capsules.
Is it safe?
When taking too much or when lacking iron, you might be a bit careful with this oil. It may reduce the body’s ability to absorb iron. Therefore I would not recommend to take this oil during pregnancy.
Jackie Barr, “Alternative Medicine”, All Experts.
“Health Benefits of Oil of Oregano From Its Unique Ingredients”, Healthy Oil Planet.