The other day I realized there is not a single cupcake recipe on The Green Creator. Although I don’t make cupcakes that often, I love to indulge in these delicious vegan vanilla cupcakes drizzled with chocolate.
The idea to style these cupcakes sort of upside down came while I was shooting the same cupcake setting over and over again and I just didn’t find the pictures very innovative no matter what I tried. The cupcakes looked boring and the styling was just one big old cupcake cliché. These are the days when my recipes look far from what I have imagined. After 100 photos I realized that these cupcakes actually look way better when turned upside down. 3 photos later I was pleased with the end result. A big hooray for no rules in the world of food styling!
You’ll love these vanilla cupcakes, they’re:
- Light & fluffy
- Gluten-free, if you use gluten-free oat flour
- Perfectly sweet
- Topped with an easy to make chocolate drizzle
- Oil-free (just a small amount of oil found naturally in oats and cacao and maybe you will use a tiny bit of oil to prevent sticking to the mold)
- Nut-free if you use milk such as rice/oat/hemp milk
- Free from white refined sugars, as sweetened with dates
Eventually, I was also super happy with the golden brown color on the outside although I might have created that because I almost burned the cupcakes. They were completely fine, but I think it was on the edge… I told you this shoot almost turned out to be a failure?
Let me know what you think of these vanilla cupcakes! If you make this recipe, please pop back and rate it and let me know how it turned out. If you also take photos, tag me #thegreencreator on Instagram as I’d love love to see your creations!
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates (about 12)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup oat flour (add more flour if too dry) - or use any other flour you wish
- 3 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ cup plant-based milk
- Chocolate Drizzle
- 6 tbsp water or plant-based milk
- 2 tbsps cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- Chocolate Drizzle:
- Mix the cacao powder and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a blender, blend the dates and water until smooth. (A highspeed blender works best for this)
- Add the oat flour, baking powder, vanilla, and plant-based milk. Blend until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into muffin / cupcakes tins/mold. These can be oiled very lightly or use parchment baking paper to prevent sticking. Fill the mold ¾ and smooth the tops.
- Bake at 350F for approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the cupcakes cool on a cooling rack in the mold.
- Once they are completely cool, take the cupcakes out of the mold and drizzle with the chocolate drizzle.
- Keep the cupcakes in the fridge.