Your cart

+Blog Advice

Where to Find Calcium

So many people are concerned not to have enough calcium in their diets when they decide to start eating a more plant-based diet. So often I have heard people told me I’m missing out on calcium because I don’t drink cow’s milk. But where to find calcium?

Many of us don’t realize that there are so many wonderful and delicious plant based sources of calcium.

Mostly plants and other whole foods contain lots of calcium and vitamins such as vitamin C and K as well as potassium and magnesium, which are all really important for overall bone health.

Calcium is a mineral that we have the most of in our bodies. 99% of it is being stored in our bones and teeth and the other 1% in our blood and soft tissues. Calcium is vital for not only maintaining strong and healthy bones, but also for regulating your blood clots and managing muscle contractions, including the heart.

Calcium from cow’s milk

Calcium from cow’s milk really isn’t as great for your bones as most of us believe. While the calcium content of milk is high, there have been many studies that show that cow milk in fact has several negative impacts on our bodies. Calcium from cow’s milk is really hard for our bodies to absorb, especially if it is pasteurized like most of the milk you can find in a supermarket. And is cow’s milk not for a calf that still needs to grow a lot?

According to the NIH, adults need at least 900 mg and breastfeeding women and those with coeliac disease or osteoporosis have a higher requirement. So we do need to be aware of the amount of calcium we are getting in our diet, or that we are actually missing. There is nothing to be worried about though, since it’s quite easy and delicious to meet the daily requirements.

Plantbased Calcium Sources

Let me start by sharing my favorite sources of calcium with you. I love broccoli, tahini, figs, almonds, chickpeas and kidney beans. To give you some idea of how rich these sources are, 100 gram of chickpeas contains 49 mg of calcium. Adding just two tablespoons of tahini to your meal or smoothie will already  boosts your calcium intake by another 128 mg too. I love stirring tahini into a bowl of quinoa or using it in my salad dressings. Plus tahini is the magic ingredient in hummus, which also contains another source of calcium: chickpeas.

What is your favorite source of calcium?

perfect hummus photos by the green creator (c) (copyright)

 

sources*

  • http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6015
  • http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2014/11/18/ajcn.113.067157.short
  • Michaelsson K, Wolk A, Langenskiold S, et al. Milk intake and risk of mortality and fractures in women and men: cohort studies. Bmj 2014;349:g6015.
  • Lanou AJ. Should dairy be recommended as part of a healthy vegetarian diet? Counterpoint. The American journal of clinical nutrition 2009;89:1638S-42S.
  • Dahl-Jorgensen K, Joner G, Hanssen KF. Relationship between cows’ milk consumption and incidence of IDDM in childhood. Diabetes Care 1991;14:1081-3.
  • Malosse D, Perron H, Sasco A, Seigneurin JM. Correlation between milk and dairy product consumption and multiple sclerosis prevalence: a worldwide study. Neuroepidemiology 1992;11:304-12.
  • Key TJ. Diet, insulin-like growth factor-1 and cancer risk. Proc Nutr Soc 2011:1-4.
  • Kritchevsky D. Dietary protein, cholesterol and atherosclerosis: a review of the early history. The Journal of nutrition 1995;125:589S-93S.
  • Gardner CD, Messina M, Kiazand A, Morris JL, Franke AA. Effect of two types of soy milk and dairy milk on plasma lipids in hypercholesterolemic adults: a randomized trial. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 2007;26:669-77.
  • Youngman LD, Campbell TC. Inhibition of aflatoxin B1-induced gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase positive (GGT+) hepatic preneoplastic foci and tumors by low protein diets: evidence that altered GGT+ foci indicate neoplastic potential. Carcinogenesis 1992;13:1607-13.
  • Spencer EH, Ferdowsian HR, Barnard ND. Diet and acne: a review of the evidence. Int J Dermatol 2009;48:339-47.
  • Caffarelli C, Baldi F, Bendandi B, Calzone L, Marani M, Pasquinelli P. Cow’s milk protein allergy in children: a practical guide. Italian journal of pediatrics 2010;36:5.
  • Rona RJ, Keil T, Summers C, et al. The prevalence of food allergy: a meta-analysis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2007;120:638-46.

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply

Read previous post:
Chocolate Milkshake
Chocolate Milkshake

Craving something sweet? Before reaching out to something store bought, try this Chocolate Milkshake. It’s the ultimate sweet fix. The...

Close