The more delicious recipes I get to be featured as a guest recipe, the more excited I get to shate it with you. After years of just sharing my own creations and thoughts here, it’s really so inspirational to let someone else speak. Today Merel of Blackbirds and Cakes shares this delicious chocolate buckwheat cream with fudgy chocolate sauce recipe with us. Merel …. take it away girl!
“I felt enormously honored when Bianca asked me to write a guest recipe! My name is Merel, I’m 26 years old and work as an Associate Scientist at a Pharmaceutical Laboratory. I also volunteer online for a vegan foundation and I blog and bake pies for my Blackbirds and Cakes website. On my blog you’ll read everything about my search for a sustainable lifestyle. You’ll find articles about healthy hotspots, green tips, my struggles with a zero-waste life, but most of all a lot of delicious vegan recipes. “
The reason I became a vegan was at first my health. I had been interested in a vegan lifestyle for a while, but it always seemed to me to be too much of a hassle and just nothing for me. When I suffered terrible stomach pains for a number of months and the doctor (again) couldn’t find anything I reached a turning point. I was going to search for my own health myself and changing my diet was a first step. I went on a two-month trial of vegan food. In those two months, so much has changed in my body that I have never looked back again. For the first time in years I felt what it was like to have energy for the whole day and have no stomach pain and headaches. After a while, I started to read about the other aspects of veganism. Nowadays, I can say that I’m vegan for everything: the animals, the environment and my health.
Cooking and chemistry?
There are a lot of similarities in my work and my hobbies. Because isn’t cooking actually a bit like chemistry? Also, the technical part of my work can be compared to the technical part of running a website and photography. Ultimately, it’s my dream to turn my passion for food into my job though. I would love to write a cookbook, open a vegan coffee shop or give workshops on vegan food, sustainability and cooking.
What type of recipes are your favorite reicpes?
Healthy guilty pleasures. That’s why I’m sharing this recipe with you today: chocolate buckwheat cream with fudgy chocolate sauce. This is definitely my favorite chocolate breakfast. The recipe is of course vegan, gluten free and above all a delicious breakfast.
If you want to see more of Merel, you can follow Blackbirds and Cakes on Instagram and Facebook.
Inspiration: Blackbirds and Cakes | Chocolate Buckwheat Cream with Fudgy Chocolate Sauce
- Yield: 2
- Category: Breakfast, sweet, dessert, snack
- Cuisine: Vegan, plant-based, dairy-free, gluten-free
This chocolate buckwheat Cream is a delicious dessert or breakfast with easy-to-make chocolate sauce.
- ~ For the Chocolate Buckwheat Cream ~
- – 175 grams buckwheat grains
- – 1 banana
- – 2 pitted dates
- – 1 tbs almond butter
- – 1 tsp vanilla powder or vanilla extract
- – 2 tbs cacao powder
- – 150 ml almond milk
- ~ For the Fudgy Chocolate Sauce ~
- – 50 grams pitted dates
- – 125 ml almond milk
- – 2 tbs cacao powder
- ~ Chocolate Buckwheat Cream ~
- Soak the buckwheat grains in water overnight. Drain the buckwheat grains the next day and rinse well under running water. Mix all the ingredients in a blender and blend until a thick, soft cream is formed.
- ~ Fudgy Chocolate Sauce ~
- Mix the dates and almond milk in a blender until smooth. Transfer the milk / date mixture into a small pan, add the cacao powder and boil on medium-low heat. When the chocolate sauce boils, turn the heat low and simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes until it’s thickened. Divide the chocolate buckwheat cream into two bowls/jars, serve with the hot chocolate sauce and optionally with banana slices. Enjoy this chocolate breakfast!