Let me start with a fun story about this recipe. Not long ago, I enjoyed a weekend in Maastricht. While strolling through the lovely streets I ended up at (of course) a health food store. And (of course) I was looking around and was making pictures for on my social media. I saw delicious chocolates (raw chocolate dates) and there were like 50 of them, all piled up. So beautiful! I started making a picture, when the owner starting yelling at me: ”No pictures!!” Oh my! I was a bit in shock, because my intentions were good. I think this lady was just very proud of her recipe. Luckily, it is not a big secret. Chocolate dip is a well known way to make delicious desserts. My mum would dip fruit in chocolate and I remember that a simple strawberry became instantly such a treat!
One of my all-time favorite snacks, dates. They are true little bites of caramel gooeyness. There are two popular dates: medjool and deglet dates. While both are delightful, I would suggest using medjool dates for this recipe.
For the filling you can be creative as much as you wish. You could use hazelnut butter or a butter with chunky pieces of nuts. Or what about filling the dates with an entire nut (skipping the nut butter)?
When it comes to the dip…a chocolate dip. Do I need to say more? There are two ways you can make the chocolade dip:
- buy chocolate nibs or an entire chocolate bar with at least 75% cacao and as little sugar as possible. When I buy chocolate I usually buy the 99% version. If you think 99% is too much, you should reconsider. The dates make this snack so sweet, that you will not taste the bitterness of super dark chocolate
- Make your own chocolate. This method is also pretty easy and totally sugar free. Melt coconut oil and add cacao powder. That’s it. You have a dip. You can use as much or as little cacao as you wish.
These simple chocolate dipped almond dates are bursting with flavor in each bite. It’s almost not a recipe, it’s that easy. Seriously, just take a couple of minutes to treat yourself with this recipe. And yes, if you know someone who doesn’t love dates…serve them this snack and see what happens!Print
The most delicious way you will ever eat dates, dipped in chocolate with an almond butter filling.
- 6 Medjool dates
- 6 teaspoons almond butter (any other butter will also do)
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of raw cacao
- toppings: bee pollen, cinnamon, acai powder, coconut flakes
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a plate.
- Make a slice in the dates, remove the stone and fill with a small amount of almond butter and place in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- In the meanwhile make the chocolate dip. If you use a store bought chocolate bar: melt the chocolate in a bowl that you put over a pan with boiling water ( au bain marie).
- If you make your own chocolate melt the coconut oil and add the cacao powder. Stir well.
- Use a fork to dip the dates into the (melted) chocolate. Place onto the baking sheet or plate. Sprinkle with any topping you wish. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to harden an serve cold.
photos by the green creator (c) (copyright)