I believe I ate fava beans the entire summer. Every day. Just cold with nothing added or prepared like in this Fava Beans in tomato turmeric sauce recipe. It doesn’t just look good, I can tell you that.
Only after reading Dan Buettner’s book The Blue Zones you will probably realise how healthy these beans actually are. On the Greek island of Ikaria, a number of people live to be 100 years or older. And guess what? Sardinians eat a plant-based, bean rich diet consuming large quantities of dark red wine, barley and fava beans.
- source of dietary fiber & protein
- contains antioxidants, vitamins and minerals
- good source of folate
- contain vitamin K and vitamin A. (source)
According to a study published in 2010 in the “European Journal of Clinical Nutrition,” overweight /obese persons following a calorie-controlled, high in protein and high in fiber diet lost more weight than those on a standard high-carbohydrate and low in fat diet. Persons on the high-protein, high-fiber diet not only lost more body weight and total fat, but they also had a lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels. So with their combined protein and fiber content, fava beans can help with weight loss.
- A cup of buckwheat;
- One onion;
- Salt and pepper and perhaps a pinch of turmeric;
For the sauce you will need
- Two sweet red bell peppers;
- One tomato;
- Spoon of oil;
- Herbs such as parsley;
- Lime juice;
- Some mint leaves;
- Apple cider vinegar;
- One clove of garlic;
- Salt and pepper;
- To start wash and boil the buckwheat (one cup in two cups of water). Boil the fava beans as well in another saucepan of water. In the mean time cut the onion.
- For the sauce. Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend. Add some more vinegar, oil or some warm water if the blender is not blending everything .
- When the buckwheat and beans are done (more or less at the same time) stir fry the onions until gold and add the buckwheat and fava beans (take out the water of the beans first of course). Add if you wish some herbs or spices. I used salt, pepper and turmeric. You can also add ginger (powder) if you like it a bit more spicy. All was fried in coconut oil.
- To finish place the beans and buckwheat on a plate and cover it with a layer of sauce. Enjoy!