People often ask me wheter I don’t get fed up with my green smoothies. I can understand this question, since my smoothies look all the same every day. Green. Even if I only blend up some bananas, dates and coconut water they will turn out green because of the green powder I always add (wheatgrass-, chlorella and spirulina powder).
They might all look the same, but smoothies are incredibly versatile. For those who follow me longer or attended one of my lectures, will know that I believe in consuming (only) smoothies before noon. But that shouldn’t be boring. On the contrary, variety is even necessary to keep your smoothie habit healthy.
An herbal smoothie can be a nice change then.
An herbal smoothie?
A good smoothie contains as many greens as you can ” handle ” and fruit. But green does not have to mean that you throw spinach or kale in the blender every day.
Don’t forget or underestimate the health effect of herbs such as parsley, basil, oregano, mint, dill and coriander.
I love to add cilantro and parsley in my smoothies.
It’s not complicated at all to provide your body first thing in the morning (after a night of fasting) with a good amount of healthy herbal benefits.
Coriander is super healthy!
- Full of minerals (little iron bomb)
- Good for the stomach. Coriander was used in ancient Egypt for gastrointestinal ailments. Nowadays it is often also used as a medicine, against for example bloating.
- Good for digestion. It helps the intestines in their movements, prevents gas tions and stimulates the production of enzymes that helps us digest food. In the form of tea is it given to children when coughing.
- Coriander contains a high dose of vitamin K, A, several B vitamins (including folic acid), vitamin C and E.
- Cilantro also works well against headaches, anxiety, insomnia and stabilizes blood sugar levels.
- Cilantro also works well to cleanse the skin.
These are just a few of the advantages.
Time to make an herbal smoothie.
For a large glass (500ml) you will need the following:
- 400 ml (coconut) water
- 2 bananas
- 3 kiwis
- quite a handful of fresh coriander
Optional some green powder such as spirulina, wheatgrass- and / or chlorella powder.
Blend until smooth and enjoy.
photos by the green creator (c) (copyright) and shutterstock