When people ask me what was the most difficult part of going fully vegan, I always answer my daily cappuccinos. I drank a cappuccino every day for years. Just one a day. Not so much because I loved coffee, it was more a cup of daily comfort with a delicious thick layer of milk foam. To be honest I never liked coffee that much. I like the smell, but I noticed my body doesn’t do very well on caffeine. Especially my gut got a bit frustrated when I drank coffee. If I feel the need for a warm cup of comfort I will have a delicious home made golden latte or this healthy herbal coffee substitute. Recently, this recipe came back into my morning routine. Also, I’ve received some e-mails from readers about how to overcome a coffee addiction.
Or what if you like coffee, but can’t handle caffeine very well? Or what if your gut is not happy with coffee? Or maybe you have more than the average two cups of coffee per day and can’t seem to thrive with less?
Support your liver with Dandelion Root Tea
It seems that certain plants (such as dandelion) can support the liver function. A proper liver function is important for the elimination of waste and the liver also breaks down fats during the digestion of food. I’m a fan of treating your liver with love. It is a very forgiving organ that can regenerate itself. It is also an important organ, because it’s vital for our entire body.
The herbal coffee substitute: Dandelion Root Tea
I normally use an organic dandelion tea that you can find in any health food store or Dandy Blend. Dandy blend is a mixture extracts of roasted roots, grains and dandelion root. It is naturally caffeine free and tastes very similar to a fresh cup of coffee (much more than just the dandelion root tea).
- Dandelion root (tea) is a natural detoxifying herb with mild diuretic properties. Some may have a laxative effect due to the detoxifying properties of the dandelion. So start slowly.
- If you are going to use the Dandy Blend, it is good to know that it is gluten-free and suitable for a grain free diet.
This latte is really delicious! I usually enjoy this tasty drink in the morning after breakfast. Yum!
Are you a coffee drinker trying to kick your love for coffee? What’s your go-to morning brew?Print
The healthiest coffee you will ever have , with dandelion root tea that will support a healthy liver.
- *With Dandy Blend*
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons Dandy Blend
- Optional: Coconut milk or any other nutmilk of choice
- Optional: Sweet, i a dash of maple syrup is nice with the nutty flavor of Dandy Blend.
- *With dandelion root tea*
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon dandelion root tea
- Optional: sweetener of choice
- Optional: Coconut milk or milk of choice
- With Dandy Blend: To make “coffee” with Dandy Blend, stir the Dandy Blend into a cup of hot water. Add milk and sweetener if you wish.
- With Dandelion root tea: stir the tea in the hot water and let sit for 5 minutes. Pour through a sieve and add the sweetener and/or milk to the brew if you wish.
photos by the green creator (c) (copyright)