Hibiscus Infused Chai Quinoa Porridge makes a great filling breakfast with proteins because of the quinoa. This bowl will also give you a boost of antioxidants since the quinoa is boiled in hibiscus leaves.
- 100 grams / one cup of quinoa
- 200 ml almond milk
- A few dried hibiscus leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 dashes ground cloves
- Optional:1 tablespoon date syrup or any other sweetener of choice
- Unsweetened coconut flakes and/or berries for topping
- Bring milk to a full simmer in a small saucepan. Add quinoa and hibiscus leaves and reduce heat to a lower setting. Cover the pan (leave a tiny crack for steam to escape), and let simmer until about two-thirds of the milk has been absorbed. Add more milk or water if the porridge becomes too dry.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the date syrup, vanilla and spices. Return the pan to the stove, covering again and continue to cook the quinoa on low until almost all the milk has been absorbed, just for a few minutes.
- If desired, serve with additional milk and garnish with coconut flakes, berries and/or additional date syrup.