Last Saturday while doing groceries I spotted the perfect size red cabbage and wondered why I actually don’t use purple- or red cabbage that often. Red cabbage has amazing health benefits and could sure be as popular as kale if you ask me. So my mission was to make a raw recipe with red cabbage, and I have to say it turned out pretty well. Without cooking or using any sweets ingredients such as an apple or raisins this red cabbage salad with tahini lemon dressing is pretty amazing.
You will notice that this salad is really ‘’raw’’. It is crunchy and probably not the red cabbage you’re used to eating. Normally, red cabbage is made a bit softer by pouring boiling water over it, then cold water will be poured over the cabbage immediately after. None of that is happening today, but I promise you this salad is delicious! And not a single nutrient is lost.
If you are new to using red cabbage you might not have a clue how to cut it up. Start by slicing the cabbage in half, through the stem. Then slice each half in half again to make quarters. Then remove the stem and make thin slices and roughly chop it all up. It doesn’t need to be perfect.
This salad is so nourishing and so vibrant!
But yes, the dressing is very important. Without it this salad is too hard or too raw in my opinion. And the dressing is divine! I could have it with a straw…
Are you a cabbage lover? Please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to share your red cabbage recipe with me on social media with #thegreencreatorPrint
Red Cabbage salad with Tahini-Lemon Dressing
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 3-4 1x
- Category: salad, dinner, lunch, quick
- Cuisine: healthy, vegan, raw, raw vegan, plant based, vegetarian,
If you think it is impossible to make a delicious salad with raw red cabbage think again. This amazing vibrant crunchy salad with a perfect tahini lemon dressing is delicious!
- half a small roughly chopped purple cabbage
- half a small cauliflower, cut into pieces and steamed
- 2 carrots, chopped in thin slices
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 3–4 tbsp of hemp seeds and pumpkin seeds
- For the lemon tahini dressing:
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 to 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast, to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 2 teaspoons of fresh parsley, chopped finely (or use other herb)
- Lightly rinse the cabbage and slice in half, through the stem. Slice each half in half again remove the stem and chop roughly.
- Let the chopped cabbage soak in some apple cider vinegar for about 20 minutes. Then add the chopped cabbage into a strainer and rinse very well. Dry the cabbage with a hand towel or salad spinner.
- In a large bowl, mix the chopped celery, pepper, cabbage, and carrot.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing all ingredients together in a blender. Combine the salad with the cauliflower and dressing and serve.
photos by the green creator (c) (copyright)