Since the end of October I have started experimenting with festive holiday dishes. The winter holiday season is so much more than sweet desserts. I use my oven several times a day and mostly for a fresh load of roasted veggies or chestnuts. Roasted endive with orange and garlic is such an easy starter or side dish.
Vegan holidays recipes are my favorite because of all the amazing starters and side dishes.
Although vegetables for me are the star and never pushed aside as ”just a side dish” I was very happy when I created this recipe and certainly knew that this is ”just a side dish”. This recipe is too light to make it a main meal, but has enough flavors combined to make it a starter or side dish.
Before this recipe I never ate endives. In the Netherlands it is often served raw with mandarines and I hate it. So bitter, so raw and most of all such a lack of flavors. This recipe on the other hand my dear friends, I could eat every day. And I have been eating it for a few days straight. I have to test a recipe thoroughly before I post it, right?
This recipe is so easy to make with just a few ingredients and it looks pretty festive to me (albeit not very photogenic). With some herbs and spices, an orange, garlic cloves and a very easy dressing these roasted endives are ready to be served in about 20 minutes. This is a recipe that will make your holiday menu planning so much easier.
Even if you hate andives you should try this one. If you do I hope you will love it as much as I do and come back to rate the recipe here. If you make a photo, don’t forget to tag me #thegreencreator on Instagram as I’d love to see your creations. Happy weekend!
Roasted Andive with Orange and Garlic
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: starter, side dish
- Cuisine: vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, gluten-free
If you have no clue what to do with endives this is your recipe. These roasted endives with orange and garlic make a perfect side dish or starter.
- 2 endives (about 1 per person)
- 1/2 orange, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves (use more if you wish)
- optional: salt to taste
- 1–2 tsp thyme (dried or fresh)
- 1–2 tsp rosemary (dried or fresh)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1–2 tsp basil (dried or fresh)
- ~for the dressing~
- 1 tbs date syrup or coconut syrup (or honey for non-vegans)
- 2 tbs balsamico
- 2 tbs soy sauce or tamari
- juice of half an orange
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C ).
- Slice the endives in half lengthwise.
- In a little bowl whisk together the date syrup, balsamico, soy sauce and orange juice. Set aside.
- Peel the garlic cloves and cut in slices.
- Peel and slice the orange.
- Place the endives in the oven (side up) and place the garlic cloves on top of the andives. Drizzle the dressing over the andives.
- Add the orange slices on top of the endives together with the thyme, rosemary, cumin, and basil. Roast for about 20 minutes or until soft and brown.