Today dr. Greger’s (first) cookbook will be available, but I believe it has already been a bestseller for some time now….. The book is amazing! All whole food plant-based. All recipes are oil-free, and also don’t contain any white refined sugars or salt. The pictures are gorgeous too!
I wanted to share a recipe with you that comes in handy each and every time no matter what you cook. I’m talking about the savory spice blend. I was already using most of these spices and herbs, but all combined in one jar makes it so much more easy to use while cooking.
Dr. Greger says he uses this blend instead of salt. I find it an all-round blend, but I add mostly more turmeric and curry powder. To replace salt I use more onion powder and ground celery seeds.
Dr. Greger’s Savory Spice Blend
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 1/2 cup (24 servings) 1x
- Category: spice, seasoning
- Cuisine: vegan, plant-based, whole food plant-based
Dr. Greger’s Savory Spice Blend that he always have on hand for quick seasoning and to add flavor to dishes in place of salt.
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard (mustard powder)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- Combine all the ingredients in a spice grinder or blender to mix well and pulverize the dried herbs and spices. Transfer the blend to a shaker bottle or jar with a tight-fitting lid. Store in a cool, dry place.
Dr. Greger recommends those with Crohn’s disease or hidradenitis suppurativa to avoid nutritional yeast.