As a foodie my daily inspiration can hit me anytime anywhere (hence my little black notebook that I carry everywhere). The other day it happened while I was shopping…for clothes. Yep, I noticed a combination of colors that made me think of red beets and zucchini. They’re both in season now. Whoop whoop! Yes, although red beets are available all year round, as of summer to October you can find the best ones. Since I love to eat according to the seasons, a new recipe was born, zucchini noodles with beetroot sauce. And a winner it was. Especially, the sauce. The only complain I got was that I made too little…
You will get a huge bowl of spaghetti it seems, because in fact you’re tucking into a nutritious bowl of zucchini, red beets, garlic, nutritional yeast and coconut oil.
First things first though. Get yourself a spiralizer or a julienne peeler. Both are so easy to use and probably one of my cheapest kitchen equipments. I already mentioned it here. I promise it will be a worthy investment. You will see it is really as simple as spiralizing and looking for the right sauce. This raw beetroot sauce is the right sauce. It’s truly delicious, light and just amazingly delicious. I can’t really understand why. You would think the garlic or beets would be too strong, but together with the cashews and the nutritional yeast it is just so perfect. And when you leave out the water (as I once tried), you’ll have the most perfect and healthiest pesto I ever had. Let’s dig in.Print
A delicious and light spaghetti made out of zucchini and an amazing healthy beetroot sauce with garlic.
- 2 zucchinis
- one medium to large onion
- One tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 large raw beetroot, peeled and chopped in pieces
- half to 3/4 cup of soaked cashews
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- a tiny bit of water to get the blender running (If you leave out the water you will create a pesto!)
- nutritional yeast (about two to three teaspoons)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Spiralize 2 or 3 zucchini and put to one side. Keep in mind they shrink a lot. So better make a bit more.
- Cut the onions in coconut oil. Bake the onions first and then add the zucchini once they are nice and soft. At high heat stir until nice and tender.
- Blend the cashews with the beetroot in a blender or food processor and then add the rest of the ingredients to the sauce.
- Serve with the zucchini spaghetti
photos by the green creator (c) (copyright)