A delicious Tomato Basil Soup according to the recipe of Chrissy Teigen.
- 3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half (take the juice out)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon Celtic sea salt or pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 jar (28-ounce) plum tomatoes, with their juice. Not canned, but from a jar!
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 quart vegetable low salt stock or water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup coconut oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in one layer on a baking sheet or oven plate and roast for 45 minutes.
- In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, the coconut butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Add the tomatoes from the jar, basil, thyme, and vegetable stock.
- Add the oven-roasted tomatoes (remove the burnt edges), including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade or use a blender. Additionally, you could add coconut sugar for sweetness, but if you want to make it completely sugar free carrots or dried tomatoes are also a way to make this soup sweeter. Sugar is often used to enhance the taste of a recipe.