A delicious version of a holiday favorite, cranberry sauce. Delicious sweet with apple, dates and orange.
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted
- juice from 1 orange
- ¼ cup water
- one cinnamon stick
- about 2½ cups cranberries
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 medium apple, diced
- Soak the dates in the orange juice for a few hours or overnight.
- In a high-powered blender or food processor, blend the dates with the juice and the water.
- Put the date mixture in a large pot with the cranberries. Cook over high heat for 5 minutes with the cinnamon stick and the apple. Constantly stirring and mashing the fruit a bit. Reduce the heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes. Add more water as needed so the mixture stays liquid though dense, like thick, chunky applesauce. Remove from the heat.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. If you prefer, you can keep everything (or a part) aside, like I did. So you blend only half of the mixture then.
- Set aside to let cool and store in the refrigerator, until ready to serve. However, this sauce is also delicious served warm!