This simple and fast breakfast porridge with millet and orange is such a morning treat. Fresh, full, creamy and satiating at the same time!
- 1/2 cup millet, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup almond milk (other milks will also work such as coconut milk or cashew milk)
- a few slices of orange
- toasted pistachios as a topping
- dash of vanilla
- half a teaspoon of coconut oil
- dash of cinnamon
- a natural sweetener to sweeten such a date paste or maple syrup
- OTHER TOPPING OPTIONS:
- dried figs
- toasted almonds or walnuts
- pumpkin seeds, toasted walnuts
- cacao nibs
- goji berries
- almond butter
- fresh fruit
- If you have time soak the millet for a few hours or overnight. Rinse the millet. Place millet in a saucepan on low heat. Toast lightly until dry and a bit darker. The roasting is also optional. When you are in a rush, you can only rinse the millet. Add water to millet. Cook for approximately 15 minutes until the grain has doubled in size/puffed up.
- Reduce heat to low, add milk and simmer for a few minutes until all is heated through. Then pour in a blender and add the orange slices and vanilla. Blend until smooth. Pour in a bowl and top with the toppings that you like.
Millet normally gets very easily dry and hard, but this recipe helps to keep the millet moist–even for leftovers a few days later.
You can keep leftovers in the fridge for up to three days. When you’re ready to reheat, add a little more milk.