An easy recipe for gluten-free vegan waffles, no oil added. Wholesome, naturally sweetened, oil-free and great when served with fruit and yogurt! Perfect for breakfast or brunch.
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tbsp water
- DRY INGREDIENTS:
- 2/3 cups rice flour (or whole wheat flour if you don’t mind gluten)
- 1/2 cup oat flour (or unbleached all-purpose flour if you don’t mind gluten)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- WET INGREDIENTS:
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk (plus 1–2 Tbsp if the batter gets too thick)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp xylitol or 2 tbsp maple syrup, date syrup or agave nectar (or more, if you like your waffles sweeter)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- To serve:
- Toppings such as fruit and yogurt
- Waffle iron* or waffle molds*
- Mix the ground flax seeds and water in a small bowl. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients until well combined.
- In another larger bowl, add all of the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients, along with the flax seed mixture. Stir to combine.
- Preheat your waffle iron or your oven if you use the waffle molds. Pour the waffle batter in the waffle iron or into the molds.
- Optional for perfect waffles, spray the waffle iron or waffle molds very lightly with oil.
- Use about half a cup of batter per waffle to yield 4-6 waffles.
- Serve with (coconut) yogurt and fruit.