With 8 ingredients and 10 minutes, you can make Haydari, a thick Turkish yogurt dip. This dip is vegan and made with vegan feta cheese, a thick soy yogurt, fresh dill and mint, salt, and a butter garlic mixture for even more flavor.
- 1 block (100 grams) vegan feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 200 grams (¾ cup and 1 tablespoon) vegan soy yogurt, unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (about 4 leaves) fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- mint leaves to garnish
- optional: pita bread to serve
- Heat a small pan over medium heat and add the vegan butter, dried dill, and finely chopped garlic to the pan. Heat until the butter is melted and the garlic starts to change color. Set aside.
- To a bowl, add the feta cheese and mash with a fork until the feta is completely crumbled. You can also use an immersion blender or a small blender to break the feta cheese. Small feta chunks are good, but totally smooth feta cheese is also an option.
- Add the butter dill garlic mixture, fresh mint, fresh dill, and salt to the mashed feta cheese. Stir well to combine with a fork.
- Add the yogurt as well and stir again to combine. The sauce is ready when it is thick and not runny.
- Place in the refrigerator for about an hour to cool and set.
- Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and fresh mint leaves, and a few sprigs of dill. It is often served with olive oil and pita bread.
You can make this recipe with plain unsweetened soy yogurt, but if possible, use unsweetened Greek-style soy yogurt.
Fresh herbs are better than dried herbs for this recipe.
This dip should be slightly salty, so don’t skip the salt. Vegan feta cheese tends to taste less intense (salty) than regular feta cheese, so that is another reason not to skip the salt.
Let it cool to thicken
This Turkish yogurt sauce becomes even more thick and creamy after being placed in the fridge for about an hour.
Keep for later
Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container. This dip is not suitable to keep in the freezer.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 701
- Sugar: 16.8g
- Fat: 51.7g
- Carbohydrates: 32.8g
- Protein: 29.1g
- Cholesterol: 133.5mg
Keywords: haydari, dips, sauces, mezze, Turkish meze, yogurt dip