These chocolate brownies with frosting are perfectly soft, gooey and have a very subtle crunch. They are vegan, raw, free of refined sugars, gluten free and very easy to make.
- 2 1/2 cups (about 250 grams) pitted Medjool dates
- 1 cups (90 grams) walnuts
- half a cup (50 grams) cashews
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) unsweetened raw cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract powder
- 1/4 cup (about 80 grams) pure date syrup (maple syrup is also an option)
- 1 ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons water
Combine the Medjool dates, walnuts, cashew nuts, 6 tablespoons of cacao powder, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 ½ tablespoons water in a food processor. Process until completely smooth.
Line a dish with parchment baking paper. Transfer mixture to dish. Press it firmly into dish with your fingers until the mixture is evenly distributed. Wet a spoon/spatula and fingers so the mixture will not stick to your fingers/spoon.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining cacao powder, remaining vanilla, the date syrup and coconut oil. Stir until mixture forms a paste. Spread paste evenly over the brownies in the baking dish.
Freeze the brownies with frosting for at least 2 hours to set, then cut into squares. Refrigerate any leftovers for up to 10 days, or freeze for up to 6 weeks.
If you would like to use less nuts you can replace the cashew nuts with chocolate nibs.
You can also make your own date syrup, you can read here how.
Keywords: brownies, no-bake, chocolate