If you’re searching for an easy one-bowl recipe and love chocolate and cake aka banana bread, then this is your recipe.
- 2 Tbsp (14g) ground flax seeds
- 6 Tbsp (90mL) water
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup (60mL) vegetable oil (not olive oil)
- 1/4 cup (60g) applesauce
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2.5g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5g) salt
- 1 tsp (5mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5g) ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cup (280g) white wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (90g) dairy-free dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- In a large bowl, mix together the flax seeds and water. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it gels, mixing once halfway through.
- Preheat the oven to 320F/160C and lightly grease a 9 x 5” (23 x 13cm) or 12 x 5″ (30 x 13cm) loaf pan.
- Once the flax seeds have gelled, add the bananas to the bowl and mash well. Then add the oil, applesauce and sugar and mix until well combined.
- One by one, add the baking soda, baking powder and salt, stirring after each addition. Then add the vanilla extract and cinnamon and stir until well combined.
- Add the flour a third at a time, gently mix until partly combined. Then add the chocolate and mix until just combined (do not over mix); reserve some chocolate if desired to sprinkle on top.
- Pour into the greased pan and sprinkle on additional cinnamon and reserved chocolate chips if desired. Cook until the top is golden, the bread starts to pull away from the sides, and a toothpick comes out clean; about 50 minutes if using a 9 x 5” pan, and 40 minutes if using a 12 x 5″ pan.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool further. Slice, serve and enjoy!
Variations: feel free to add up to 1/4 cup dried fruit or roasted nuts if desired.
Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container for up to two days. Wrap individually and store in the freezer for up to one month.