A delicious burger made with sweet potatoes, butter beans on a bed of greens and with a delicious garlic sauce. The healthiest vegan burger!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and baked
- 240 grams cooked white butter beans (rinsed and drained if canned)
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped in tiny chunks
- 2–3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 small ”chia egg” (1/2 tablespoon chia seeds + 1 to 2 tablespoons filtered water, let soak for 5 minutes)
- 1 lime or 3/4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- a handful of fresh coriander (cilantro) or parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast (flour works well such as buckwheat flour or oatmeal flour)
- 1/2 – 1 cup finely chopped greens (such as spinach, parsley)
- toppings: avocado, tomato, garlic sauce, greens, mustard, pickles
- skillet: 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Bake the sweet potatoes in a 170 degrees oven until tender. If you are in a rush you can also cook them, but they will be less flavorful.
- Add the sweet potatoes and beans to a large bowl. Use a fork to mash all well. Add the onion and keep mashing. Add all the remaining ingredients and mash more.
- Heat oven to 170 degrees (if you haven’t done already for the sweet potatoes).
- Heat a skillet over high heat and add the coconut oil.
- Form with your hands from the batter burgers in the size you wish and place on the hot skillet. Saute 2-3 minutes on each side, just to brown them. Repeat with all the mixture.
- Place the burgers now on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until cooked through. You can pop the burgers right in the oven, but if you saute them first it will create a crispy flavorful edge.
- Serve the burgers with any topping/sauce you wish. You could use crispy lettuce, mustard, vegan mayonnaise, anything that you like! Serve warm!
OPTIONAL GARLIC SAUCE
half a cup of raw unsalted and unroasted cashews, soaked in water for about 20 minutes, drained
two fresh garlic cloves
a tablespoon of olive oil
juice of one lemon
optional some Celtic sea salt to taste
Put all the ingredients for the garlic sauce in a blender and blend until smooth. When the sauce is too dry or too thick, add just a tiny bit of water.