A delicious creamy Sweet Potato Coconut Soup infused with shredded coconuts, curry paste, a lot of herbs and spices. A intens flavorful soup that’s perfect to make ahead.
- 2 (medium) carrots, diced
- 2 (medium) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 quarts (2.8 liters) vegan broth (low in salt)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons dried turmeric
- 1 red or green pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons oregano or basil (fresh or dried)
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 large (or 2 small) onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon (roasted) pine nuts, for garnish
- 4 tablespoons coconut flakes (add more to taste), use some for garnish if you wish OR coconut milk (canned) about 8 oz (250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 9 oz (250 grams) cooked chickpeas (or white beans), drained
- 1 bunch fresh flat parsley, chopped (leave some out for garnish)
- optional: 1 tablespoon coconut oil, but I used water instead
- optional: salt, to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil OR about one cup of water. Once it’s hot, sauté the onion, carrots and peppers until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the ginger, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes. Mix in red curry paste and turmeric.
- Turn the heat a bit higher and add in the soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos, salt, rice vinegar, lime juice, almond butter, broth, sweet potato, parsley, oregano or basil and chickpeas. Allow to come to a boil, then reduce the soup to a simmer. Let simmer uncovered (!) for about 40 minutes so the water can evaporate. The longer you will let this soup simmer, the more flavorful it will be. The soup should at least be less watery. Let simmer for longer if you want a thicker soup. Or if you don’t have time, use less broth. Once ready use an immersion blender to puree or transfer to a blender. This is optional you can also skip this step.
- Serve the soup with flat parsley, (roasted) pine nuts and some more coconut flakes.