This vegan chocolate chip banana cake is perfectly sweet and moist. It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare! You only have to mix all the ingredients in a bowl, bake and serve as a celebrative cake or for breakfast… Why not? This recipe definitely our new favorite banana ”bread”.
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (or oat milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups (about 3 medium bananas) overripe bananas
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or ⅓ cup maple syrup / date syrup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (see notes)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chunks or chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare a cake mold with parchment paper.
- Place almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a small glass. Stir and set aside.
- Peel and place bananas in a mixing bowl. I used an immersion blender to mash them but you can use a fork or potato masher as well. Add coconut sugar or syrup and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Stir in almond milk with apple cider vinegar.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips, don’t over-mix it.
- Pour into the cake mold.
- Bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour or until a knife comes out clean.
- Once fully baked, carefully remove from the cake loaf and place on a wire rack to cool before slicing.
- For the chocolate cream on top:
- Melt half a cup of chocolate chips. And cover the top.
- I topped my cake with even more chocolate chips right before serving.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container for up to three days in the fridge.
I’ve tested this recipe with different flours. This is a version with whole wheat organic pastry flour. But regular whole wheat flour and of course all purpose flour work totally fine, too.
Also, gluten-free options are just as delicious. You can buy for example gluten free baking flour.