This recipe for easy vegan scrambled ”eggs” are made with crumbled firm + silken tofu and flavored with spices, nutritional yeast, a plant-based milk and veggies for a simple and hearty breakfast.
- 1x 10oz (300 gr) block firm tofu, drained / not pressed
- 1x 7oz (200 gr) silken tofu
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ cup (60 ml) unsweetened plant-based milk
- ½ tsp black salt (kala namak), add right before serving
- additional salt and black pepper, to taste
- veggies: 1 small red onion / ½ red bell pepper/ ½ cup (60 gr) green peas
- optional: ½ tbsp coconut oil if not oil-free
- optional for serving: seasonings of choice such as dill, chives, parsley, but also a pinch of cayenne pepper or garlic- or onion powder are a tasty option.
Veggies: Dice the onion (and other veggies) small. The onions add flavor, but it should be subtle.
To a small pan add a little bit of the plant-based milk or if you don’t cook oil-free, use oil.
Add the onion to the pan over medium heat and sauté shortly.
Add the (frozen) green peas and red bell pepper to the pan as well. If you want to use any other vegetables you can add those as well.
Add a splash of milk if the veggies start to stick to the pan. But reserve most of the milk for later.
Add the seasonings: Add the turmeric, black pepper and salt, paprika powder, garlic powder, onion powder, kala namak (for a more intense flavor it’s best to add it when the tofu scramble is almost done), mustard and nutritional yeast. Combine well.
Crumble the Tofu: Add the drained (not pressed) firm tofu to the pan. Start to crumble the tofu between your fingers. Medium sized chunks will do. The tofu does not need to be super small. When mixing in other ingredients the tofu will break down even more. Mix well.
Silken tofu: Add the silken tofu. Use a spoon to add chunks of silken tofu. These chunks can be quite large. Most of the silken tofu will break up in the pan when you start combining everything together.
Liquid: Add the rest of the plant-based milk. The scrambled tofu is ready when it’s hot. Keep mixing it while it simmers. However, when you have (accidentally) added too much liquid let it simmer a few extra minutes. The milk (or water if you use that) will begin to evaporate as it cooks. When the scrambled tofu has thickened to your liking, remove the pan from the heat.
Serve immediately. Optionally, serve with fresh herbs and (more) kala namak and some salt and black pepper if needed.
Serve as desired. Any leftovers will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- The milk can be substituted with water, the black salt and nutritional yeast may be omitted from this recipe, but it will affect the taste.
- I find kala namak quite intense so I add it during the cooking process, but for an intense/full flavor add it right before serving the tofu.
- If the tofu is too dry, add more milk.
- If the tofu is too runny, let it simmer longer.
Keywords: breakfast, tofu, scrambled eggs