This pumpkin spice oatmeal with ground walnuts is a recent favorite porridge that I just had to share with you. Pear, pumpkin spice and ground walnuts are really a great match and very healthy too!
- 2/3 cup (about 70 grams) oats
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) almond or oat milk (add more if the porridge is too dry)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) water
- a dash of turmeric
- 2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice
- I used extra cinnamon (one small teaspoon)
- little dash of black pepper
- 3 dried figs, cut in chunks
- one ripe pear (topping)
- one tablespoon dried coconut flakes (topping)
- 5 walnuts, ground
- one banana
- toppings: figs, bananas, shredded walnut, ground coconut, cinnamon powder, pear
- Add half the banana, water, milk, oats, turmeric, cinnamon, figs and pumpkin spice to a small pot. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring a few times until desired consistency. Add more water or milk if the porridge becomes too dry. Cook until the oats are tender. Meanwhile place the walnuts in a (hand) blender and mix until they break down. Don’t overdo it or you will create a butter. Just a few seconds to ground them is enough. Meanwhile, make sure to stir the porridge a few times throughout cooking so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot and burn.
- Once the oats are soft and the porridge is creamy, serve in a bowl and top with dried figs, pear, coconut shreds, a dash of cinnamon, banana, and ground walnut.