In the past few years I started to appreciate the wonderful recipes in the Eastern Europe kitchen and started to introduce them into my own healthy vegan life. My favorite is the red beet soup. There are many different variations and everyone seems to have a secret recipe or a particular preference, but when I first ate a cold vegan beet soup in summer with chunks of avocado (!) I was so impressed by the creativity and the delicious taste! I had to make this myself! I’ve added a lot more to it and oh how delicious it is.
Traditionally beetroot soup is made from the soup (juice) that is used to boil beets and to this buttermilk, kefir or sour cream would be added. The beet soup will normally be served with half a boiled egg. While this vegan version contains no cream or eggs, it lacks nothing when it comes to the taste.
Delicious cold red beet soup with homemade cashew cream, lots of crunchy vegetables and pieces of ripe avocado. Delicious!
And remember, the colder the better!Print
A delicious cold beetroot soup with cashew cream, avocado pieces and lots of crunchy vegetables. This vegan version of the traditional cold beet soup lacks nothing.
- For the beet soup:
- 3 to 4 fresh raw beetroots
- 1 liter of water
- a cube of vegetable broth
- celtic sea salt
- For the cashew cream:
- 1 cup cashews (about two hands), soaked overnight in cold water
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups of water
- pinch of Celtic sea salt
- For the beet soup and as topping:
- 1 small bunch of radishes
- 1/2 to 1 cucumber
- 1–2 ripe avocados
- a few mint leaves
- a handful of spring onions
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Wash and peel the beetroots and cut into pieces. Bring 1 liter of water with the bouillon and a pinch of salt to a boil. Add the raw beets and cook for about 10-15 minutes. Then put the pan aside and allow to cool. Meanwhile, make the cashew cream. Rinse the soaked cashews in running water and place with fresh water and a pinch of salt in the blender. Blend for about 1-2 minutes until you got a cream. Add the lemon juice, stir well and put the cream in the fridge. Cut the radishes into small cubes; peel the cucumber and cut into small pieces. Wash and chop the herbs. Cut the avocado into small pieces and sprinkle generously with lemon juice. When the soup has cooled completely (in the fridge), mix a bowl of soup with a large spoonful of cashew cream. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with chopped vegetables, herbs and avocado pieces.
- Serving Size: 4 bowls
photos by the green creator (c) (copyright)