Are you a coffee- or a tea person? Personally, I’m a huge fan of tea. If you are a tea lover and a bit bored with your tea collection, I invite you to try this red rose tea. It’s not only gorgeous in color, it’s delicious too.
This red rose tea is a showstopper. Can you even say that about a tea? What I’m trying to say is that this is not your average cup of tea. The first thing noticeable is the amazing color of this red rose tea. This dark red-hued tea has an amazing taste and is pretty easy to make from scratch even though I’m using quite a few ingredients.
I like to make a big pot of this tea to sip on all day, but I also love to serve this tea with a dessert when I have guests coming over. I guarantee you, the next topic at the dinner table will be all about tea.
The ingredient that is responsible for this beautiful dark red color are not the rose buds, but the red beet. Just to let you know, this tea taste nothing like beets. So even if you don’t like red beet (juice), you can enjoy this red rose tea.
If you are going to try this gorgeous red rose tea, let me know what you think! Leave a comment or rate the recipe. And don’t forget to take a picture and tag #thegreencreator on Instagram! I’d love to see your creation!
This gorgeous colored red rose tea is beautiful to serve, but also nourishing with an amazing blend of warming spices such as ginger, nutmeg, cardamom and cloves. This red rose tea has a subtle hint of sweetness and citrus flavor.
- 1 fresh medium beetroot, diced (if the beet has leaves, use the leaves too)
- 2.5 cups / 600 ml water
- juice of one small lemon or lime (if this is too acid start with half a lemon)
- 1 stalk lemon grass, punched and then tied in a knot to release flavor
- 3 tbsp date paste or any other sweetener you like
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 3 tbsp dried rose buds
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 5 pieces of fresh cloves
- 5 tsp vanilla extract
- Wash and peel the beet and cut in small chunks. Place in a tea pot or any other pot that allows easy pouring. If you have a beet with leaves, remove the leaves from the beet, rinse and cut in smaller chunks. Cover with about 2.5 cups of cold water. Add lemongrass, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, rosebuds and ginger and simmer gently for 20 minutes until the tea turns into a splendid deep red color. Allow to cool slightly to about 80 °C/ 180 °F. Strain out the beet (leaves) and add the remaining ingredients. Stir and serve.
- If you feel fancy you could add even more ingredients, such as mint or even rosemary.
- If you only want the basic red rose tea, you can leave out the cardamom, cloves, nutmeg and lemon grass. Without those warming spices this tea would also make a great ice tea.