The idea was to create a Buddha bowl…. Instead I started experimenting with what I have in my fridge and cupboards and this amazing sweet potato and chickpeas tomato salad with sweet mustard dressing recipe was born. It’s not really a salad salad without any leafy greens, but it’s for sure a nourishing whole food plant-based bowl. Feel free to add more greens if you wish!
Way back when I was just diving into the wonderful world of whole food plant-based eating I didn’t really enjoy a fully raw salad. The salads I made back then were also not very satisfying. I started creating salad recipes with half raw and half cooked/baked ingredients. The combination of roasted ingredients with typical raw salad ingredients are truly the best salads. The freshness of the raw ingredients create a great balance with the rich flavor of baked/roasted ingredients. And an amazing dressing is just the cherry on the uuh… salad.
If mustard or a sweet dressing is not your thing, this bowl would also be great with a garlic sauce such as in this recipe.
I know you are going to love this salad! It’s:
✓ Lightly spiced
✓ Great to make ahead
✓ Healthy & Quick
If you give this recipe a try, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it – it’s super helpful for me and other readers. And don’t forget to tag your creation with #thegreencreator on Instagram. I’d love to see your creation!
Sweet Potato and Chickpeas Salad with Sweet Mustard Dressing
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: lunch, snack, salad, dinner
- Cuisine: vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, gluten-free
An amazing, hearty salad with crispy roasted sweet potatoes and chickpeas, a light and fresh tomato salad and a simple sweet mustard dressing.
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- FOR THE SWEET POTATO & CHICKPEAS:
- 1 big sweet potato ( 350 grams), cut in chunks
- 240 grams cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp red paprika powder
- a few dashes ground black pepper
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1–2 tsp dried curry powder
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in small chinks
- ½ red onion, diced
- a handful of herbs of choice
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- ground black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp onion powder
- FOR THE SWEET MUSTARD DRESSING:
- 150 gr plant-based yogurt such as soy yogurt
- 2 tsp / 17 grams mustard sauce
- Sugar to taste, such as date syrup, xylitol or maple syrup. I used 1 teaspoon xylitol.
- Preheat oven to 350 °Fahrenheit (180 ° Celsius) and line a baking sheet with parchment baking paper.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the lined baking sheet. After 5-10 minutes add the chickpeas and the spices. You can use oil if you wish.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad. Wash, cut and combien all the ingredients. I used apple cider vinegar for the salad, but you can also use the juice of half a lemon.
- In the meantime, prepare the sweet mustard dressing by mixing the yogurt, mustard sauce and a sweet ingredient in a small bowl.
- After 10 minutes, toss the chickpeas and flip the sweet potatoes to ensure even baking.
- Rinse the quinoa and boil in twice the amount of water for about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Optional: add a vegetable bouillon cube while the quinoa is cooking for extra flavor.
- After about 20-25 minutes the sweet potatoes and chickpeas should be nice and crispy.
- In a bowl place the roasted sweet potatoes with chickpeas, together with the quinoa and tomato salad. Top with a generous amount of dressing. Or serve the dressing aside.