I actually have never been a huge Nutella fan, especially as a kid I was more of a Duo Penotti kind of girl. I loved the two colored spread and ate it right out of the jar. I loved Nutella on a pancake or on white bread with a layer of butter. This recipe makes such a delicious and healthy vegan Nutella chocolate spread, that will not make you want to go back to the store bought refined sugar loaded Nutella jars ever again. It requires just three ingredients, so it’s very easy to make as well!
So how bad is Nutella actually? I read once that Nutella is a good spread for children, because of the healthy fats from the hazelnuts. However, a simple Google search shows the bittersweet truth. Nutella consist of actually 55% (!) sugar and only 13% hazelnuts. Not that great, right?
If you love that creamy, hazelnut flavour you have to try this extremely easy recipe. You need three ingredients and 15 minutes. I love to dip fruit in this chocolate spread such as berries, but on some slices of banana this spread is delicious too!
This Nutella chocolate spread is lactose free, gluten free, vegan, super easy to make and delicious creamy.
- 2 full cups roasted hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or a few soaked and peeled Medjool dates
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- a few tablespoons of water
- optional: vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (350 F). Roast the hazelnuts for about 10 minutes in the oven. When they start to smell good, take them out to cool off a few minutes. Place the hazelnuts in a food processor and mix until you have a sticky flour consistency and all chunky pieces are gone. A blender will not work for this recipe. However, any cheap food processor will do. Add the maple syrup and cacao and mix again. When all is mixed slowly add a little bit of water. This will make the spread a spread as thick or thin as you like. Add two tablespoons of water per time until you have the consistency you like. Store in a jar in the fridge.
photos by the green creator (c) (copyright)