If you’re chocolate lover, you may want to try this classic vegan version of chocolate shortbread cookies. You can cut these cookies of course in any shape, but since I already made these Christmas shaped cookies last year I thought a heart shape would be just as cute. And isn’t Christmas all about love anyway?
When I was a kid my mom made similar cookies for Christmas, but then with vanilla instead of chocolate. And she would make sandwich cookies with jam in between. A brilliant idea! You could do the same with these cookies, but they are also perfect to decorate with for example melted chocolate or powdered sugar or enjoy just as they are like I did.
The great thing about a classic recipe is that you can enjoy these cookies all year round.
If you love chocolate, you should try this classic vegan chocolate shortbread cookie recipe. And please pop back and rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out. Especially if you are going to decorate your cookies, don’t forget to share your photo with me! Tag me #thegreencreator on Instagram
Chocolate Shortbread Cookies are a classic recipe and this vegan version is just as good.
- 1/2 cup (100 gr) coconut sugar or light brown sugar (if you use coconut sugar the taste will be slightly less sweet)
- 1 1/4 cups vegan butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup (310 gr) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (30 gr) unsweetened cocao powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp cacao powder to dust the cookies before serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, stir the salt, flour, cacao powder and sugar together. Add the room temperature vegan butter and vanilla to the bowl and mix with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on your countertop and dust with flour.
- Form the dough into a ball, sprinkle with flour and place it in the middle of the parchment paper.
- Use another parchment paper and place it on top of the ball.
- Roll the dough to roughly 1/2 of an inch thick.
- Cut into desired shapes (I used a small heart cookie cutter).
- Place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Continue re-rolling the dough until it is all used.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the bottom is just slightly darker. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Optional: sprinkle the cookies before serving with cacao powder and cinnamon
Make the dough ahead and refrigerate for up to two days, or freeze for up to four weeks.