Thinking about the word ”stew” I always imagine an older lady stirring in a pan. Don’t ask me why. Anyway, the other day I realized that I quite often myself am making an easy summer veggie stew. I say easy stew, because I often make a quick and small portion just for myself. I find it ideal when I don’t know what to prepare, but want something warm with vegetables and medicinal herbs. And because this easy summer stew is a light summer stew, you don’t have to let it simmer for hours.
This stew is not a real heavy winter stew, but a lovely light summer stew which is made in a blink of an eye.
Healthy eating is really quick and tasty. The herbs will make it taste so delicious. So play around with the herbs you like, but make sure that the stew is not too bland in taste.Print
- one big carrot
- a zucchini
- a spoon of coconut oil
- spices, lots of dried garlic, a dash of Celtic sea salt, black pepper, dried oregano and turmeric
- chive and nutritional yeastfor the topping
- 200 ml water
- Other great additions / options are:
- chopped tomatoes or tomato paste
- fresh coriander
- dried cumin or ginger
- fresh garlic cloves instead of dried garlic
- Start by peeling the carrot and spiralize it with a spiralizer. If you don’t have a spiralizer, you could use a potato peeler instead to create wisps. Do the same with the zucchini. If the zucchini is organic, there is no need to peel it first.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan and add the carrot and zucchini wisps. Let the zucchini shrink. Then add the water and all the other ingredients.
- Bring to the boil and stir in the meantime. After about 5 minutes, the vegetables are soft and you can serve it with some chives and nutritional yeast as a topping.
- If you find this stew to be too light or too transparent, add some tomato puree and some proteins like a handful of lentils or chickpeas.
photos and text by the creator green (c) (copyright)