One of the most amazing things about our body is that it can indicate what it needs. I have periods of time that I could drink all the juices and smoothies in the world, then I have some weeks I crave salads more, then I will have a bean period and now I’m in my oatmeal phase. I love to experiment with new recipes to make my oatmeal porridge an everyday treat. When it comes to oatmeal my favorite way to prepare this is to add fruit. Pears, frozen berries, mangos, kiwi’s, apples and bananas are just a few of my faves. This pumpkin spice oatmeal with ground walnuts is a recent favorite porridge that I just had to share with you. Pear, pumpkin spice and ground walnuts really make a delicious combination.
I don’t enjoy eating walnuts that much. But ground walnuts? YES! There is something about ground walnuts. Almost as if the flavor changes. I love it and remember my mom used to sprinkle ground walnuts over my pancakes when I was a kid. #nostalgia
PS. How cute are these heart shaped banana pieces? Oh my!
- ⅔ cup (about 70 grams) oats
- ½ cup (120 ml) almond or oat milk (add more if the porridge is too dry)
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) water
- a dash of turmeric
- 2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice
- I used extra cinnamon (one small teaspoon)
- little dash of black pepper
- 3 dried figs, cut in chunks
- one ripe pear (topping)
- one tablespoon dried coconut flakes (topping)
- 5 walnuts, ground
- one banana
- toppings: figs, bananas, shredded walnut, ground coconut, cinnamon powder, pear
- Add half the banana, water, milk, oats, turmeric, cinnamon, figs and pumpkin spice to a small pot. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring a few times until desired consistency. Add more water or milk if the porridge becomes too dry. Cook until the oats are tender. Meanwhile place the walnuts in a (hand) blender and mix until they break down. Don’t overdo it or you will create a butter. Just a few seconds to ground them is enough. Meanwhile, make sure to stir the porridge a few times throughout cooking so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot and burn.
- Once the oats are soft and the porridge is creamy, serve in a bowl and top with dried figs, pear, coconut shreds, a dash of cinnamon, banana, and ground walnut.