Nori sheets (toasted seaweed) is a wonderful sea vegetable and are best known as the dark green wrapping for sushi recipes. I have these crispy sheets always in my pantry and use it in my recipes when I need that ”something extra”. Since I don’t use (conventional) table salt that much, nori sheets will give it a bit of a salty sea taste. A recipe I have been making over and over again when I’m in a rush in this herbal lentil salad with toasted seaweed.
I love to eat nori sheets, but as much as I love to experiment with homemade sushi recipes or sushi wraps, a simple nori sheet as a snack or sprinkled over a salad is my favorite way to enjoy the taste of toasted seaweed.
If you’re avoiding salt with added iodine, if you eat little to no bread and eat a fully plant-based diet then I think nori sheets are also a great way to provide your body with iodine.
In this recipe I used herbs such as parsley and coriander, but you can use any greens that you like. I also like to use wild spinach that I cut into smaller slices to make it easier to combine with the other ingredients, but herbs shouldn’t be forgottten. They are poweful plants that I love to include in my salads or smoothies.
You can find packages of nori sheets online, at any Asian grocery store, Whole Foods, and perhaps also in a regular grocery store. Nori that is packed in an airtight container will keep for quite some time in your pantry. If they start to lose their crispness, you can very carefully re-toast the nori sheets over a flame on a gas stove.
I hope if you’re an avid sushi fan, you’ll try to use toasted seaweed as a go-to snack or sprinkled over your salad too. If you do, let me know on social media with #thegreencreator
This Herbal Lentil Salad with Seaweed is an easy salad recipe. Without any added salt the toasted seaweed will give it that salty taste.
- one cup (25 grams) fresh herbs such as parsley and/or coriander
- 240 gram cooked (brown) lentils
- 2 roasted seaweed (nori) sheets
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/4 of a big cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 tablespoon of extra virgine olive oil
- a dash of ground white peper
- juice of 1 lemon (or half a lemon if you wish)
- If you are cooking your own lentils start with that. Cook the lentils according to the package instructions. Once done, set aside and let cool off.
- Wash and cut the red bell pepper and cucumber in little chunks. Toss all in a bowl and mix.
- Cut up the herbs by making a little bundle of it and run your knife through it. You can also use a kitchen scissor instead.
- Add the herbs to the bowl with the red bell pepper and cucumber.
- Cut the avocado in half and cut little squares in each side. Spoon in out and add it to the bowl as well.
- Add the brown lentils. If you use lentils from a jar/can rinse and drain very well.
- Add the lentils to the bowl with the lemon juice.
- Fold the nori sheets in 3 to 4 squars and tear them in little pieces. Add them to the salad.
- Add the oil and white pepper to the salad as well and toss together.
- Serve or put in a container with a lid in the fridge to save for later.