That’s a mouth full for a simple bowl, right? Simple Sweet Potato Bowl. But we need it. Fall is not far away and we all need to have a simple bowl recipe. It allows you to combine all the random leftovers in the fridge, and this recipe is delicious! However, it’s a go-to bowl that leaves lots of place for leftovers from your own fridge or to fill with produce you love so use this recipe as a guideline.
This Simple Sweet Potato Bowl is my go-to for the upcoming colder days. Delicious antioxidant rich sweet potatoes, garlic sautéed spinach, millet, and pumpkin seeds make this simple bowl a filling meal.
When I say simple I normally also mean a quick meal. In order to make this a quick meal I will give you some suggestions that will make sure you will be able to create a bowl like this in just minutes.
For a quick lunch or dinner it helps to prepare a bit, also known as batch cooking. I like to eat as fresh as possible, but there are yummy foods that can be easily cooked in advance without losing any of the nutritional value. Everyone is busy these days. Especially now, after summer we are back to our routine again. Whether you’re going to school, work, or you’re a mum taking care of an entire family, batch cooking can be lifesavers for healthy eaters.
Some great healthy produce that you can prepare in advance are:
- buckwheat, quinoa, brown rice, amaranth or millet
- sweet potatoes
- granola or a trial mix for snacking
- in case fruits are going bad, freeze it for a smoothie
- flavored broccoli or cauliflower or any other vegetables
This recipe’s set up is so versatile that I think it will be a good guideline for you. You can always add whatever you love and keep out what you don’t. Try to make it a balanced bowl, with protein (the pumpkin seed and tahini in this bowl), and mix it up with carbohydrates and fiber (sweet potatoes and vegetables), and a healthy fat such as coconut oil used for cooking or olive oil to drizzle.
The simplest meal in a bowl- warming, satisfying, quick and easy!
I hope you enjoy this one! What will your bowl look like? Share below or on social media with #thegreencreatorPrint
Sweet Potato Bowl with Millet
- Category: entree, supper, lunch, dinner
- Cuisine: vegan, vegetarian, healthy
A delicious filling bowl with sweet potatoes, spinach, millet and garlic.
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 3 cups spinach
- half a cup of pre cooked millet
- half a tablespoon of pumpkin seeds
- Celtic sea salt
- black pepper, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon tahini for over the sweet potatoes
- In a large skillet, add coconut oil and add sweet potatoes then add 1 clove minced garlic, cook until tender. Add more oil to crisp or add a touch of water to help cook the potato faster.
- You can cook all ingredients in one skillet, or at this point you can take out the sweet potatoes, set aside, cook the spinach in the skillet alone just by wilting and adding garlic, sea salt and black pepper. Adjust seasonings (sea salt, pepper, garlic) to taste. Do the same with the millet.
- To serve place the sweet potatoes, spinach, and millet in a bowl. Sprinkle the potatoes with tahini, and the millet with olive oil.
- Just take your fork and mix it all together and all the textures and flavors will combined beautifully!
- Garnished with pumpkin seeds
- Serving Size: 1-2
photos by the green creator (c) (copyright)