Have you ever tried an herb in your smoothie? It’s a delicious change from the more traditional green smoothie ingredients, such as spinach, celery, and kale.
Parsley is an excellent addition to so many recipes and even smoothies. It’s not about throwing as much green as possible into a blender; a green smoothie should also taste good. That’s the idea behind a green smoothie. It’s a tasty way to get in more greens without actually tasting it. Give me those vitamins!
How to make a green smoothie taste amazing?
This green smoothie is so delicious because it’s made with banana and I also added a Medjool date. The sweetness will cover up any parsley like taste and that’s the way to make a green smoothie taste amazing. I also like to use coconut water instead of plain water, but that is totally optional. To make this smoothie a bit creamy I added a tablespoon of cashew butter or almond butter. Don’t forget about those healthy fats. I like to add in chia seeds or hempeeds too.
And then those greens. Instead of going for the usual green smoothie ingredients such as spinach or kale, try a herb. A great herb (also flavor wise) is parsley. Parsley is a powerful herb which such great health benefits. My absolute favorite go-to green!
How to drink green smoothies?
I think we should eat (chew) our smoothies to digest it properly. A great way to do so is to add the chia seeds or hemps seeds after blending the green smoothie. You could serve the smoothie in a bowl and add those on top too. As such you will have to chew the smoothie. I don’t think a smoothie should be gulped down like a glass of water if you know what I mean. If you don’t have a lot of time to make a smoothie you could make it a day before. You can read here how to save a smoothie for later.
Why not make a juice?
Juicing is getting pretty trending right now and I love a good green juice. But I consider a green juice to be more of a boost of nutrients without the fibers. As a more filling snack with fibers I will go for a smoothie which allows me to add a nut butter and a banana.
The best thing about a green smoothie is that it takes a few minutes to make and this recipe has endless variations and possible additions. I like to add raspberries to my smoothies. Instead of a banana I also like to use pineapple or mango to sweeten this smoothie.
I hope you will give this green smoothie recipe a try and let me know when you do!Print
A not so typical green smoothie recipe. Delicious and refreshing with, among other things, parsley, banana, and ginger.
- 1/2 bunch parsley, only the leaves and tender stems
- 1 banana (use a frozen banana for a thicker smoothie)
- 1 Medjool date, pitted
- a little piece of fresh ginger (don’t overdo it)*
- 1/2 cup of water or coconut water (add more for a thinner smoothie)
- 1/2 tbsp almond butter or cashew butter
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds or hempseeds
- juice of 1 lime
- optional: extra fruit such as frozen mango or pineapple
- Place the ingredients in a high speed blender. Blend on high, adding more (coconut) water if needed. Blend until the smoothie is all smooth without any chunks. Pour into a glass and enjoy or save for later.
* Use the smallest amount of fresh ginger, just to give this smoothie a punch. Be careful not to add too much.
Keywords: green smoothie,