As a kid I used to hate parsley and thought it should only be used as a garnish. Today I think parsley is super underrated herb and such a great additoin to so many recipes and even to smoothies. It’s not about tossing in a blender whatever is green, a green smoothie should also taste amazing. That’s the whole purpose of a green smoothie. It should be a delicious way to consume greens without actually tasting the green. Bring in those vitamins!
How to make a green smoothie taste amazing?
This green smoothie is so delicious because it’s made with banana and I also added a Medjool date. The sweetness will cover up any parsley like taste and that’s the way to make a green smoothie taste amazing. I also like to use coconut water instead of plain water, but that is totally optional. To make this smoothie a bit creamy I added a tablespoon of cashew butter or almond butter. Don’t forget about those healthy fats. I like to add in chia seeds or hempeeds too.
And then those greens. Instead of going for the usual green smoothie ingredients such as spinach or kale, try a herb. A great herb (also flavor wise) is parsley. Parsley is a powerful herb which such great health benefits. My absolute favorite go-to green!
How to drink green smoothies?
I think we should eat (chew) our smoothies to digest it properly. A great way to do so is to add the chia seeds or hemps seeds after blending the green smoothie. You could serve the smoothie in a bowl and add those on top too. As such you will have to chew the smoothie. I don’t think a smoothie should be gulped down like a glass of water if you know what I mean. If you don’t have a lot of time to make a smoothie you could make it a day before. You can read here how to save a smoothie for later.
Why not make a juice?
Juicing is getting pretty trending right now and I love a good green juice. But I consider a green juice to be more of a boost of nutrients without the fibers. You can read more on what the difference is about a smoothie and a juice here. As a more filling snack with fibers I will go for a smoothie which allows me to add a nut butter and a banana.
The best thing about a green smoothie is that it takes a few minutes to make and this recipe has endless variations and possible additions. I like to add raspberries to my smoothies. Instead of a banana I also like to use pineapple or mango to sweeten this smoothie.
I hope you will give this parsley power green smoothie recipe a try and let me know when you do!Print
This green smoothie with parsley, fruit and nut butter not only tastes amazing it’s also healthy!
- 1/2 bunch parsley, only the leaves and tender stems
- 1 banana (use a frozen banana for a thicker smoothie)
- 1 Medjool date, pitted
- a little piece of fresh ginger (don’t overdo it)*
- 1/2 cup of water or coconut water (add more for a thinner smoothie)
- 1/2 tbsp almond butter or cashew butter
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds or hempseeds
- juice of 1 lime
- optional: extra fruit such as frozen mango or pineapple
- Place the ingredients in a high speed blender. Blend on high, adding more (coconut) water if needed. Blend until the smoothie is all smooth without any chunks. Pour into a glass and enjoy or save for later.
* Use the smallest amount of fresh ginger, just to give this smoothie a punch. Be careful not to add too much.